Sunday, June 12, 2011

On the Spot's Walking Tour

I was intrigued (and don't make me type in the full title, it's listed in the program under "On the Spot") but OFF shows too often collide with the regular shows, with fixed times that can ruin a whole evening.  But, I was soaking wet, just from walking from Mainline to the Beer Tent, and hovering around the InfoBooth for shelter, it slowly revealed that some of the crowd wasn't just there for shelter, but for the tour.  I wasn't in the mood to go to a show while soaking wet, but as the sun returned, some walking might dry me out.  And the tour was about to start, and it would finish before the show I really wanted to see, which happened to be close.

It shows that I don't pay that much attention to the blurbs, since I really expected a walking tour, albeit a humorous one. I guess being Fringe Historian, I'd want to arrange a walking tour to show off the old Venues.


Instead, this is improv, with the really neat factor of moving around. I liked that when they did Shakespeare on Mount Royal a decade ago, I liked it when some troupe did a free OFF show during the Fringe a few years ago.  It can get tiresome to always be sitting in seats to see a show, to have to sit in the same spot through the show.

And then one can be amused by cyclists that just ride through the scene (on the other hand, some others made a point of avoiding it).


Still expecting history, when Terrence Bowman, I think it's him as the tour guide, asked for something from the "tourists', it came across like a teacher reaching for an answer rather than reveal it.  It took me a while to grasp that one had control, sort of, over the situation by yelling out whatever.  I liked it, and it wsa over before I started wondering about the time.  Don't take the history as exact. I think it would work better with a larger crowd, there were about four of us as audience, and as many On the Spotters.  There was also a horribly obnoxious woman  in our tour Sunday night, I tried to be polite but then moved away from her.