Saturday, June 18, 2011

Siblings

This is only a 15minute/$4 show (well $6 with the service charge, why are the shows with a lower price penalized by the Fringe more than the full limit ticket price shows?).  I'd like to hear the story of why it's an excerpt, it can't be a test run since Lynsey Billing is not new to the Fringe.

I saw it at 23:45 on Friday night, one show I was willing to go to that late (even though I spent about 90 minutes waiting for it to happen).  It seemed to bring out her friends, not a particularly large audience, but at least we all sat in the same section so it was concentrated.

Maybe it was the smaller venue, somehow more inviting than the depth of Tangente, but it felt like they are doing something different with dance. Like when she did "Barbie World" in 2008, the ballet influence is noticed. It thus becomes interesting because the vocabulary of the dance is somewhat different from the rest of the shows, that are generally using the vocabulary of modern dance (except for the breakdancing shows)

Lynsey Billing teaches dance, but it seems away from the usual places. Three years ago, I expected the Barbie piece to be more commercial or more entertainment dance,  but it wasn't, and it was only one of a few pieces in the show.  And maybe the distance from the status quo enables her to do something different, which may somehow be folded into the local status quo.

On the other hand, one of the musicians listed in the program is Becky Fooms (I think I spelled that wrong) who I've seen accompany someone at Studio 303, maybe Allison.