Thursday, June 2, 2011

William Shatner Comes to Town Again, but no Fringe Visit

I guess it was today that William Shatner was at McGill to get his honorary degree. I was tempted to go by with a sandwich board or sign saying something like "Please William Shatner, please come to the Fringe Festival", but I figured I'd get tossed out.  I had thought of asking Bill Brownstein to mention it if he was going to talk to William Shatner, but when I talked to him a couple of days later, he said he hadn't been at the McGill event.


Jeremy would really like William Shatner to come to our little Fringe, to show it off to him, to show how it's grown.  We could make him a guest of honor. Jeremy  would like that, and I wish I could make it happen. There is connection, way back when, Jeremy staged some shows (not at the Fringe) that were live  acting of Star Trek scripts.  Then of course, there were some years when a Fringe venue was in the back of the High School of Montreal (where William Shatner is said to have gone to school), and then for a few years the Fringe was at McGill, where Shatner went.  For a year or two, there were three venues in the Shatner Building (ie the student union building) alone, the Players Theater up on the top, then two make shift theatres below.  It was so easy to dispense the cookies during those years.



Anyway, "William Shatner" did come by a bit later, as the photo shows, to collect his gold key to the Fringe.