Monday, June 13, 2011

Venezuela, Venezuela, and Friends

I thought they used a picture of My Cousin Vinnie twice, but there really are two people who look quite the same.  I wanted to see this one since they charge $2 for children under ten, I wondered if that was merely a gimmick for us to take notice of the show, or it was fit for kids.

It's suitable.  It starts off like a silent movie and that would have worked in itself, but then slowly they add gibberish.  The movement is the key, the gibberish allows for emphasis and exclamation.  Think "Beaker" on The Muppet Show.  I thought one piece went on a bit long, but I have no idea if it's a fixed show each time or if they have multiple routines to pick and choose from.

It works for children, but in a good way.  It's neither a children's show nor an adult show, it's just funny and like old silent films, children can see the humor.

The "Friends" open the show, it's an hour show with the Venezuela bit about half an hour.  So they've brought in some of the other acts to open. I don't think Jessica Salomon was really appropriate if there had been children, but I also assume any children in the audience would have been accommodated.

The Fringe needs shows that children can see, so I'm glad they've done this.  The only bad part is that while a child can see the show for one week's allowance (I don't know what kids get for allowance these days, I remember when I'd get fifty cents and rush off to buy a "How & Why Wonder Book" with it), they then have to spend another week's allowance paying the service charge.